Thursday, October 16, 2014

New Skincare Routine

Skincare Routine

If you read the very first post on my blog then you will probably know that I have been using the Simple face wash, scrub and moisturizer for a few months now. I still really like them and they are definitely the best drugstore skincare products I have ever tried. However, I have been noticing that they were making my face red so I decided to switch back to my Dermalogica Dermal Clay Cleanser. I am also trying out a bunch of new products and I have noticed that my skin improved dramatically ever since. I still get breakouts and black heads but they are far more manageable now. I would still purchase Simple products if I really needed to replace something and could not get my hands on anything else for whatever reason but I think I will be sticking with higher end products from now on.

Morning Routine


I use my Dermal Clay Cleanser in the morning. I love this face wash so much. It has menthol in it so my skin always feels de-congested. This is also great if you have a cold! The only thing that I am not overly fond of is that if you use this in the winter when your house is colder, you will freeze! It makes your face feel extremely cold. The first time I use it as a mask; I just leave it on for about 5-10 minutes before washing it off. Then I apply it again as a regular face wash.

I use a face scrub about twice a week in the morning. I got a small sample of the Brighten Up! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator by Vasanti Cosmetics from my Birchbox so I have just been using that. I like it so far. It dissolves the bonds that hold dead skin cells together and scrubs the dead, dull skin away. There are also natural healing ingredients to combat redness and irritation.

I bought the Caudalie Favorites Kit which included a small Caudalie Beauty Elixer. I love this product! It is so refreshing. You can use it as a toner or a refreshing mist throughout the day. It is also said to help reduce breakouts.

If I am going to be applying makeup then I will use my Embrolysse Lait-Creme Concentre. I buy mine from Birchbox just because it is the most convenient for me. You do not have to be a subscriber to Birchbox to purchase products from them. They have the small 30ml for $16 and the large 75ml for $28. This moisturizer works great, even during the cold winter months and also acts as a primer. Clearly there is a reason it is favored by makeup artists everywhere.

If I am just planning on staying home for the day or if I am feeling really tired and have an early morning, I will use my Origins GinZing Energy Boosting Moisturizer that I got from my Origins Bestsellers Kit

Another moisturizer that I love is the Dermalogica Active Moist. This is light and oil free, and keeps my skin balanced and moisturized even during the harsh winter months. It is one of my holy grail products!

For eye cream I use the Orgins GinZing Refreshing Eye Cream. I absolutely love this product! I have gone through multiple samples of this and can honestly say that it works amazingly. I still have dark circles but the puffiness has been greatly reduced.

Then I will apply a lip balm. I love Smith's Minted Rose Lip Balm but I also will use an EOS one or if you are looking for an even more budget friendly option, Carmex is great as well.

Nighttime Routine


If I am wearing makeup I will first remove it with a makeup remover wipe and some of Maybelline's Extra Eyes Waterproof Eye Makeup Remover if I wore something heavier. Then I will go in with my Caudalie Makeup Removing Cleansing Water. I am in love with this makeup remover. It is not greasy or oily and it doesn't sting my eyes or make them all blurry and it works great!

Then I will go in with my Origins Checks and Balances Frothy Face Wash on a scrub brush. I only use the scrub brush once because I have sensitive skin. Then I will follow up by just using my finger tips for my second wash. If I had no makeup on I will usually skip the face brush and just wash my face twice with my fingertips.

You can find basic scrub brushes at Sally's Beauty Supply or Sephora. I don't have a fancy Clarisonic or anything like that. Any face brush will help give you a deeper clean. If you have sensitive skin, be extra gentle or find a brush specifically meant for sensitive skin.

I try to use some sort of mask every night. Depending on the condition of my skin I will either use the GlamGlow Thirsty Mud Hydrating Mask, my Michael Todd Organics Pumpkin Mask or my Origins Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask or sometimes I will try a new mask as well. The pumpkin one really helps to clear away dead skin but I only use this on days where I have done nothing else that is abrasive in any way; usually that is on a weekend where I was not wearing any makeup so I didn't use my face brush and didn't use a scrub that morning. Technically this mask is not supposed to be used for sensitive skin but I have had no funny reactions to it as long as I am careful about when I use it and how often. Other nights I will use my charcoal mask which I am obsessed with! I have noticed that my pores are cleaner and smaller just after one use and it leaves my face extremely soft! Other masks that I like are the Lush Mask of Magnaminty and the Origins Drink Up Intensive Overnight Mask. There is also a Drink Up 10 Minute Mask version of this as well.

Usually when I go to rinse off my mask I will take the tiniest bit of face cleanser and use that to help get all of the mask off. Literally only a pea size is plenty. It is just to make sure that there is no left over mask lingering on your face.

Then I will use my Caudalie Beauty Elixer and apply my nighttime moisturizer. I have been using the Origins High Potency Night-A-Mins Mineral Enriched Renewal Cream. For me, this feels a bit oily and I also wake up with my skin feeling a bit dryer than usual so I am not sure whether I like this one or not. However, it doesn't clog my pores or cause any funny reactions. I did find out that they make an oil free version but I am going to use up this one first.

For my nighttime eye cream I have been using Origins Eye Doctor Moisture Care eye cream.

After I brush my teeth, I use my ELF lip scrub to exfoliate my lips and get rid of the dry skin. Then I will use my Smith's Minted Rose Lip Balm. This is one of the few lip balms that are thick and moisturizing and keep my dry, cracky lips from getting dry or cracky for at least most of the day.

Since the holidays are coming up, companies are coming out with all kinds of gift sets. I think that this is the perfect opportunity to try out new face products because you can pay less for small versions of a bunch of different things. This is especially great if you are trying out a new brand all together. The same applies for makeup! These are the two gift sets I have purchased so far.

The Origins Best Sellers Kit includes a 1 oz Checks and Balances Frothy Face Wash, a 0.5 oz Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask, a 1 oz High Potency Night-A-Mins Mineral Enriched Renewal Cream, a 1 oz GinZing Energy Boosting Moisturizer, a 0.5 oz Plantscription Youth Renewing Face Oil and a 0.5 oz GinZing Refreshing Eye Cream. Retails for $38 from Sephora.

The Caudalie Favorites Kit includes a 0.15 oz Lip Conditioner, a 1 oz Hand and Nail Cream, a 0.33 oz Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet, a 1 oz Beauty Elixir Spray and a 1.69 oz bottle of the Make-up Remover Cleansing Water. Retails for $32 from Sephora.

I hope this helped some of you who are looking for new products to try. Overall, I have noticed a huge improvement in my skin's condition so far. I would love to read your comments and recommendations!

None of these links are affiliates. I am not making any money by you clicking on them. Everything was bought with my own money.

Subscribe to Birchbox!


No comments:

Post a Comment