Friday, September 5, 2014

How to Achieve a 'No Makeup' Makeup Look


Practically Perfect in Every Way


no makeup makeup look
This is actually one of the hardest looks to achieve. You want your face look like your bare skin, but better. I am going to share my tips and favorite products to help you achieve this look.

The main goal of this look is for everything to be so seamlessly blended that everything you put on looks like your natural skin or a shadow. You want to look like you just woke up looking perfect!

Primer
In my opinion, you should always use a primer under any other makeup. It helps prevent your makeup from taking international flights to somewhere else on your face. For face primer I use NYX's Shine Killer face primer. It works great for controlling oily skin. My holy grail lid primer is ElF's eyelid primer. It works better than some of the higher end brands and it is only $1.

Foundation
You don't have to use a foundation if you don't want to. A tinted moisturizer or even just a face powder will work perfectly. Use what you feel the most comfortable in.

I use both foundation and tinted moisturizer interchangeably. For foundation I use Revlon Nearly Naked Foundation in 110 Ivory. This foundation is extremely light on the face and has about a medium coverage. If I want something lighter or faster to apply then I use Bobbi Brown Oil Free Tinted Moisturizer in Extra Light Tint (summer), or Alabaster Tint (rest of the year). This tinted moisturizer has great coverage with a nice, slightly dewy finish. Unfortunatly I found out that this product is to be discontinued. Stay tuned for a new tinted moisturizer review!

Concealer
Apply any needed concealer after your foundation. That way you know exactly what needs to be covered. Blend well.

Blush/Bronzer/Highlight
Use a subtle highlighter on the cheekbones, bridge of the nose and above the lip. Again, nothing very shimmery or obvious. Cream highlighters work great for this look. Cream blushes look very natural as well but not everyone likes them. Use whichever formula you are more comfortable with. You don't want anything strikingly bold or obvious. Go light on the contouring. Make sure everything is blended very well. Remember, it is supposed to look like how you look naturally, but better! I usually use NYX's blush in Taupe as my bronzer and MAC's Blushbaby on my cheeks.

Setting Powder
I always set everything with a translucent powder because I have oily skin. I found that using translucent powder helps blur pores where tinted powders can sometimes make them worse. I also like to use a puff to press the powder into my skin. I sometimes use a brush but when I have red spots or blemishes, the brush can sometimes wipe away the foundation and concealer covering them.

Eyeshadow
Find an eyeshadow that does not have shimmer or glitter; though it does not have to be perfectly matte; and that either matches your skin tone or is just a hair lighter. Mine is MAC's Blanc Type. This will go all over the lid, up to the brow bone, the inner corners of the eyes and underneath the eye.

Then find an eyeshadow, again without glitter or too much shimmer, that is a few shades darker than your skin tone. I have been using Frisk from the Urban Decay Naked 2 Basics Palette. Use this color only where you want subtle definition. Usually in your crease and along your top and bottom lash line. Use lightly and blend well. There should be no defined lines, just a seamless shadow.

I love using the Real Techniques Deluxe Crease Brush for blending. It is so soft and fluffy and oversized and it works amazingly! The only problem is that it is only sold in the 'Your Eyes Enhanced' Starter Set. It is not available individually.

Eyeliner
Black eyeliner looks more harsh on some people than others. If this is the case for you, try a brown, black brown or grey eyeliner. If you have an extremely light complexion with light hair you could even try a taupe eyeliner. The idea is that you want to define your lash line but don't want to look like you have liner on. I like to just dot along the lash line and smudge it out. I also sometimes apply it under the eyeshadows to make it less harsh. My favorite black liner is Rimmel London's Special Eyes in Black Magic. If I want brown then I use NYX's Jumbo Eye Pencil in Dark Brown.

Mascara
There are several options for mascara as well. This isn't the time for the big runway false lashes look, you just want your natural lashes to be more defined. Stick with either a brown, black brown, or black mascara; which ever is closer to your natural lash color and overall coloring. Find a mascara that gives a little bit of volume and length without making it obvious that you are wearing mascara. Curl the lashes before applying mascara to avoid pulling out lashes. Curling the lashes will instantly give you a more awake appearance. I love Covergirl's Clump Crusher mascara in Very Black.

Lips
You can use a lipstick, gloss, pencil or whatever you are comfortable with. I like to use a tinted lip balm or a gloss for the most natural look. Look for that, my lips but better shade. A nude lip or a slightly darker lip also works well as long as it is not too far from your natural color. Nothing too shimmery or sparkly. Dab the color with your fingers for a more blended and sheer look. I have been using Loreal's Color Caress Lipstick in Sheer Linen or Revlon's Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Honey.

And there you have it. These are my tips and tricks for a flawless no makeup, makeup look. Let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, I would love to know if you tried any of these tips and how they worked for you!








No comments:

Post a Comment